We all know why asbestos was banned back in the 1970’s and 1980’s. The material was known for being hazardous to health. Furthermore, its impact on the environment is also well-documented.
However, what you might not realize is that even now there are certain household items (like talcum powder) which consist of traces of asbestos.
You might not even know that you have been exposed to asbestos until it’s too late. Here’s a look at some signs of asbestos poisoning. Make sure you immediately get medical assistance as soon as you notice any of the following:
When you inhale asbestos fibers, they result in formation of scar tissue on your lungs. This condition is known as asbestosis. This is a respiratory disease that causes shortness of breath.
But that’s not all. Over time, lungs become inflamed and they lose their ability to exchange Carbon dioxide and Oxygen. This also has an impact on your immune system and therefore you are susceptible to other diseases.
Another problem that asbestos leads to is pleural thickening. This refers to the thickening of the lining in your lungs. This happens over time and can lead to even bigger problems. These include thickening of lungs and constricted heart movement.
Furthermore, it also prevents your lungs from oxygenating blood. Due to this, your heart also needs to work harder. This subsequently results in high blood pressure.
When this happens, your face and head might swell. You will also face difficulty in swallowing food.
Another sign of asbestos poisoning is that you feel tired all the time. We have already mentioned how your immune system becomes weaker when your lungs are scarred.
Your body needs to work extra hard in order to combat the diseases. Naturally, this drains you of energy because of which you feel even more tired.
Fingertips Are Swollen
In majority of the cases involving asbestos poisoning, the patients’ fingertips were swollen. This condition is also known as clubbing and it gives your fingers a broader and rounder appearance.
You might not even realize that you have been exposed to asbestos until several years later. However, one sign that’s a giveaway is dry coughing. It’s an indication of scar tissue forming on your lungs.
Exposure to asbestos can be fatal in majority of the cases because of which it’s important that you keep an eye out for this substance and can rid of it.